The climate is transitioning from Winter to warmer seasons and, if you have a terrace, you might be wondering how it could become an enjoyable and relaxing garden.
A terrace garden is like a room without a roof where you can spend time reading, eating, sunbathing, and much more.
The following is a list of ideas that our architects put together, aiming to improve the enjoyment of your home during the upcoming warm days.
- Use an appropriate mix of flowering plants, ground cover, and shrubs. Before positioning any heavy planters, check the load-bearing capacity of the roof slab. Examples of plants that are fairly wind-tolerant and fit with the London climate are> Olive trees, Prunus Lusitanica Lollipops, Ilex Crenata, Pinus mugo, and Wollemi Pine. Depending on the size of your terrace, choose an appropriate automatic irrigation system. Once programmed, the watering system will take care of your plants and save you time.
- If your terrace presents a boring-looking wall, turn it into a stylish vertical garden. It takes up less space and is easier to harvest and maintain than traditional gardens.
- Plan the disposition of the outdoor furniture, considering the activities you are going to perform and the orientation. Use good-quality fittings that match your style and feel comfortable.
- Pots and planters should be coordinated with the overall look of your garden, avoiding random-picked colours and a multitude of different materials.
- If required, you may add an outdoor kitchen with a fridge and barbecue.
- Locate artworks, like sculptures, to add personality and luxury to your terrace garden. Their colours, forms, textures, and scales will enrich the quality of space and create emotions.
- Install a discreet lighting system that focuses on plants, other key elements, and pathways. Couple that with transportable lantern lights, possibly solar-powered, to create a unique atmosphere. By using outdoor lights, you let your terrace garden become an extension of your indoors even when it is evening. Always use LED lights, because they are energy-efficient and made of non-toxic materials.